New Goodsie including price increase

11 Jul, 2013 08:55 PM

I finally received the newsletter announcing the new Goodsie.

I spent a month migrating my business to Goodsie very recently. I was happy with the site so far and was looking forward to the "enhancements" that were hinted at since late last year. As reported by other users, the change over is not going exceptionally smoothly and users are experiencing problems.

According to the newsletter, the New Goodsie will be much more powerful. Of course it will also be much more complex and new users no longer should expect to create a store "in minutes". That is a shame as I found the previous Goodsie to be relatively easy to use.

And for this, the newsletter also announces that basic monthly will be =doubling= beginning August!

I am so sorry to say that this is a grave disappointment.

1. 1 Posted by MChav on 11 Jul, 2013 09:13 PM

I am also quite disappointed by the price increase. It's DOUBLE what it's used to be, and there was no warning as to the price change. I don't remember even taking a poll or survey!

So it's going to take us much much longer to get our store designed and up and running, and on top of that - we're paying double what we used to?! It doesn't make any sense! - If we were used to spending hours designing and figuring it our store, and you had now turned it into a smooth process that took only minutes - I can justify a small price increase.

I do not think doubling our fees is fair or honest practice! You would win the loyalty of many of us if you kept decent prices. You're basically charging more than eBay - without bringing in any traffic. eBay charges $20 to list up to 150 items per month in a store, and they basically take care of all your advertising and marketing. There's also etsy for crafty people, and a handful of other options for those of us wanting a e-commerce presence/ With the best option I see being wordpress. Yes, eBay has fees on top of their monthly store fee - but they drive in TONS of traffic! Even so, I'm literally just waiting for my store to gain some popularity so I can get out of eBay. Their store fees + listing fees + all kinds of other fees are killing me!

Goodsie, please do NOT turn into another money-hungry mogul site - looking to lose loyal customers with outrageous fees and changes to your fee structure again and again... Please try and remember, the "next best thing" is always just around the corner. In the same way that you've attracted us, another site can too! It takes much more than pretty templates and colors to keep us around - specially when you've just admitted your new design will not take *minutes*!! - It takes a dedication and a commitment to your already established clientele! What are you doing to keep us around for the long haul?

The least you could do is grandfather us in - at least those of us that have been with you from the get-go! Even greedy eBay has some nice discounts for long term sellers and power sellers. Already I have to spend hours cropping and "squaring" my images to fit into my store front with you guys! Now you want to charge me $30 to work harder and longer?!?

I may have to start searching for a new site to take my business to again... *sigh*

2. 2 Posted by 38092 on 11 Jul, 2013 09:21 PM

I am also extremely disappointed in the price increase and will cancel my account. I really liked the service and the quick support but it is unacceptable to double the monthly fee.

3. 3 Posted by 41982 on 11 Jul, 2013 09:42 PM

I am also shocked by the price increase. I have already done the lion's share of work on my webshop. And it was a LOT of work. But much of the reason I did it was the price.

But now doubling the fee with no warning or grandfathering in??

4. 4 Posted by 24004 on 11 Jul, 2013 10:00 PM

Alright, let me put it this way: It's been a year that we're waiting for updates. Even lately, you guys weren't able to keep up to your July 1st deadline. And all of this waiting for THIS?
    This new program is a pain in the butt to use, plus we have to pay more to use it!!!

I have been hesitating for one year to move to Shopify, but now you guys convinced me to make the move, so congrats! My store looks like crap right now, so I have to focus the next few days on making the transition to Shopify before I lose customers.

I am sick of wasting time complaining on this forum, and I think that I will be using my time more wisely by transitioning my store to Shopify (which is much more user friendly, especially after its new update, unlike you guys).

5. 5 Posted by 38137 on 11 Jul, 2013 10:14 PM

DOUBLING?!?!?!??? The ONLY reason I chose Goodsie over BigCartel (which has better features) is that it was slightly more affordable. I've been disgusted with the customer service here and now my customers are complaining because nothing on the "new" Goodsie is working. I AM LIVID and am going to start moving my shop as soon as possible.

Way to go, Goodsie. Way to go.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by lilbigshop on 11 Jul, 2013 10:47 PM

It's probably best if I address everyone's complaints in one response:

My name is David, I'm a co-founder of Goodsie. First and foremost, I would like to express my sincere apologies for all of the aggravation and inconvenience you have experienced both as a result of our new rollout and the ensuing price increase. Our goal is to make our customers happy, and clearly we have let some of you down.

Hopefully I can give you a better understanding of why we are rolling out a new platform and why we are raising prices. We are a small business, just like you! We're a very small team of 6, and we take a lot of pride in our work and making sure that we provide the best service possible. Two things became evidently clear to us a year ago: The platform we had built, while very simple and easy to use, was not properly built to allow for all the new features that everyone was requesting, especially in a code-free system. And we could not continue to run the business financially at the current pricing model.

We are not a big corporate company, and we are certainly not out to reap massive profits at the expense of our customers. We've spent a year building a very intuitive, flexible, and powerful website editor. We have worked tirelessly through the nights and weekends in order to give our customers the best tools possible for their business. While the base plan increase to $30 seems steep, it's very affordable relative to our product offering, and compared to our competition, especially since we do not charge a transaction fee.

I understand that some of you cannot afford to pay more than $15/mo for your store, and I understand if you need to change to a more affordable solution. Once again, I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. If you would like to try stick it out with us, I'm happy to offer you a free month (starting at your next billing cycle) of our premium service. Hopefully you will allow us some time to make up for today. I'm positive that once you get the feel of the new editor you will not want to leave Goodsie!

If you would like to speak with me privately, or would like a free month, please email me at david at goodsie dot com

Thank you very much.

7. 7 Posted by 38137 on 12 Jul, 2013 12:04 AM

I would expect no less than a free month *at the new, higher rate* given
    that we've had these changes sprung on us (we had promises for months that
    they were coming, but couldn't experiment with them in advance), you've
    removed the option for inventory notification via e-mail from basic shops
    and, most importantly, I've had customers contacting me via e-mail and
    Facebook all afternoon telling me my site doesn't load, or the cart doesn't
    work. I would also like to impress upon you just how completely horrified
    I am that you would not just increase, but actually double fees, and then
    have the temerity to do it with only three weeks notice. It smacks of a
    bait and switch.

What you are doing - the fee increases, surprise roll-outs with glitches,
    communication after the fact and excuses that you think will be taken as
    explanations - is exactly why a dozen of my colleagues and I left ArtFire
    in January after several years with them. I will not stand for this type
    of treatment from yet another company and neither will other shop owners.
     There are plenty of options out there, so I strongly recommend that you:

- start communicating with us clearly, and *before *you roll out
       changes,
       - give people a chance to see what the changes will be (and how to use
       them)
       - give plenty of notice before eliminating services from basic
       memberships or increasing fees
       - test changes in a proper environment (offline, small test group) and
       not live with everyone at once
       - NOT make excuses

If you can't or won't provide the appropriate service and communication to
    your clientele, you will lose a large amount of it. That isn't a threat;
    that is an observation of what happened with ArtFire. You should learn
    from their mistakes and not make the same ones yourselves.

I will expect to receive the month of August for free. If Goodsie can
    provide consistent service, I will consider staying for a few more months
    and see if your company can improve communication with clients.

skelekitty.com
    skelekitty.goodsie.com

- - - -
    Krissi Sandvik

Owner/Artist, *Krissi's Art Studio, home of Skelekitty & Friends*
    skelekitty.com* - BRAND NEW WEBSITE!*
    krissisandvik.blogspot.com

- - - -
    Krissi Sandvik

Founding Member, *Corporate Rejects* *~handmade detail, not corporate retail
    corprejects.blogspot.com

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by lilbigshop on 12 Jul, 2013 12:13 AM

Hi Krissi,

Thank you very much for the detailed feedback. You are a 100% correct, and once again, I'm very sorry. Your account will be credited with a free month so you can have a chance to get to know the new system.

As for the email notifications feature, they will be included in the $30 plan.

Tx. David

9. 9 Posted by 38137 on 12 Jul, 2013 12:23 AM

I am glad to hear inventory notification is staying in the basic plan. As
    you can see, it isn't listed as part of the plan on the updated pricing
    list. If I'm not mistaken, two other services I've been using as part of
    my plan are also "unchecked" as part of the new pricing. I often look at
    the analytics (stats) and just last week I used a targeted email to send a
    coupon code to my customers.

- - - -
    Krissi Sandvik

Founding Member, *Corporate Rejects* *~handmade detail, not corporate retail
    corprejects.blogspot.com

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by lilbigshop on 12 Jul, 2013 12:57 AM

Krissi, regarding the inventory notification you are correct, we will be fixing the pricing guide shortly.

Some existing customers, such as yourself, have had access to the premium features while only paying for the standard package. So, you've been enjoying a lot of the functionality that is part of the premium plan. We're simply going to start enforcing the feature set going forward.

Once again, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. Please enjoy the premium features on us for at least another month.

11. 11 Posted by 41646 on 12 Jul, 2013 12:58 AM

Hi David, I would like to echo a lot of the above sentiments above re rollout., but as a developer myself have a lot of sympathy. Given all the problems to date can I ask: do you plan to push on through today/tonight implementing bug fixes and muddling through or would you consider a rollback?

A rollback would allow you to look at a better way for users to adopt the new version of goodsie? Perhaps we could choose to implement the new version of goodsie on a individual basis? (Much like a wordpress install where you are free to updgrade the core framework to later versions at your own leisure and even individual modules within.)

While I appreciate greatly where you guys are trying to take the product, perhaps not everyone is ready for it at this moment or even need it for their purposes? Perhaps you can offer the previous version for a slightly lower price and allow users to upgrade to this new version for a higher price?

Would you technically be able to provide us with such an option? just thoughts....

12. 12 Posted by 32668 on 12 Jul, 2013 01:47 AM

I second the post above regarding offering the previous version of Goodsie to those users that do not need or want the new version. While I completely understand the need for Goodsie to grow and expand its feature base, I think in the process you can easily and quickly loose site of what made Goodsie so appealing in the first place.

Personally I tried virtually every eCommerce option out there, most all with great frustration. They were all either too complex or to amateur template looking. When I came across Goodsie, I was so thrilled as I finally found a layout and user interface that I knew within seconds of my trial was the perfect EASY and STYLISH solution. After spending a few hours today on the new Goodsie, I can tell had this been my first visit, I would not have been so attracted to your product in the same way as I was with the old version and likely would jump ship like all the others.

Please give offering the previous version to those who do not need or want this new version some thought. Thank you.

13. 13 Posted by 41982 on 12 Jul, 2013 02:09 AM

Part of the problem is having the doubling of the fee (no small thing for us tiny businesses) without knowing what this gives us. I have been unable to access the Tour so I can see what these new features are...

14. 14 Posted by 41746 on 12 Jul, 2013 02:39 AM

Well, I never got a newsletter or email, so I have NO concept of what these changes may be, and I can't even see for myself since I can't get to my store! Every time I try, I get a message that it's undergoing maintenance and should be up and running soon. NOT! Would someone PLEASE give me an idea of WHEN it might be fixed????? HELP!!!!!

15. 15 Posted by 44821 on 12 Jul, 2013 03:48 AM

I recently started using Goodsie and have loved the simplicity as well as price of it and was extremely disappointed to see that it is changing to something more complicated and it costs double! I am a stay at home mom with an online business and frankly I don't have the time to change and fix everything and now it keeps messing up with inventory and not letting people add items to carts and messing up the number of things available and not updating. I would much rather have the "old" version and pay $15.

16. 16 Posted by MXM on 12 Jul, 2013 04:17 AM

OMG!!!!
    I was excited to tried the new version of goodsie. Unfortunately, after spending the WHOLE day checking the new version. IT IS JUST REALLY Really DISSAPOINTED!!!!

I'm a graphic designer, the new version it is just SOOOO MUCH more complex and well..really really really complicated. And I also found out it is not totally functioning well yet!!.... beside the desktop site version is all mess up, the mobile version is just... OMG!!!.. really really mess up....it is not translating good at any point yet!

OMG!! never had that kind of my waste on time in my life....

and it is going to cost 2 time more?! eeeeh.....

Can we have the old version back?!

17. 17 Posted by Bruno on 12 Jul, 2013 12:47 PM

Where can we find the new price/plan structure? It wasn't included in the 'New Goodsie' email and they price/plan list in the FAQS still states the old price structure. I just want to weight the options of what the new $30 plan includes before I make my choice to leave or not.

18. 18 Posted by 47133 on 12 Jul, 2013 04:18 PM

I am completely blown away by this and will be canceling my site today. Thankfully this is my first month so I only blew 40+ hours of work on my site. With businesses just starting off not making a profit it just really is not worth 30+ a month with features you don't need. I would have been completely fine with $15 a month but at 30+ I rather create my own e commerce site without your service. I had absolutely no knowledge given to me about these changes and just logged on today to find out whats going on.

19. Support Staff 19 Posted by lilbigshop on 12 Jul, 2013 06:20 PM

To the people who are requesting a rollback, unfortunately that's just not possible. Please understand that it's impossible for us to make every store owner happy, and while some of you are clearly upset about the pricing and bugs (many of which were fixed last night, and will continue to be fixed asap), I have MANY store owners who have written to thank us for all the hard work and for rolling out all the features they have been requesting over the past two years.

Regarding the pricing: I know that there is a % of our stores who are unable to pay more. Unfortunately, had we stayed with the $15 pricing, we would not be in business much longer. If you need to leave Goodsie for a more affordable solution, I completely understand. There are e-commerce solutions that offer a free store (such as BigCartel) which might be the perfect option for those of you who only require a few features.

Once again, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. Please keep in mind, we are also a small business just trying to stay alive. We don't and will not charge transaction fees for customers that you bring to your own store (which many other e-commerce companies do), and we offer a lot of functionality for the price. If you feel we are no longer the right fit for your business, I completely understand.

Tx. David

20. Katie closed this discussion on 12 Jul, 2013 06:41 PM.

21. Katie re-opened this discussion on 15 Jul, 2013 12:19 PM

22. Support Staff 20 Posted by Katie on 15 Jul, 2013 12:19 PM

New Pricing Plans:

subscriptions

23. Katie closed this discussion on 15 Jul, 2013 12:19 PM.

Discussions are closed to public comments.
If you need help with Goodsie please start a new discussion.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

20 Oct, 2014 08:05 PM
20 Oct, 2014 07:14 PM
20 Oct, 2014 06:53 PM